6.20.2007

milestones in living alone...

there are few times i miss having a roommate more than when it's time to get rid of the Really Huge Bug (RHB).

my friends and family know that i have a mild case of entomophobia, and tend to shriek and hyperventilate when i get too close to bugs. i'm working on it, but honestly, the treatment for phobias is often worse than the irrational fear itself. let's see -- i could use gradual desensitization, where i get closer and closer to scarier and scarier bugs, or i could use flooding, where they just toss me into a vat of bugs. no thanks. so i live with it.

but when i woke up this morning, and a totally terrifying RHB was in my tub, i realized i now lived alone. there was no one else to get rid of the bug. fine. i didn't really want to shower anyway. then i realized i would come home, and the RHB would still be in my tub.

and while i could skip showering for a day, more than that was just silly. i had to be a grown up. i had to get rid of the RHB myself.

so
i did it! i got rid of the bug myself, and rewarded myself with a long, hot, shower. and i kept one mistrustful eye on the drain, lest anything else crawl out of it.

the RHB in question, btw, was a common house centipede. i have to say, now that wikipedia has informed me that it injects poison venom through it's fangs, i don't find it all that common. and at 6:00 am it was downright terrifying.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Believe or not. George is not at home. Please a message at the beep. I must be out or I'd pick up the phone. Where could I'd be? Believe it or not I'm not home!!!! Believe or not. George is not at home. Please a message at the beep. I must be out or I'd pick up the phone. Where could I'd be? Believe it or not I'm not home!!!!

Anonymous said...

Believe or not. George is not at home. Please a message at the beep. I must be out or I'd pick up the phone. Where could I'd be? Believe it or not I'm not home!!!! Believe or not. George is not at home. Please a message at the beep. I must be out or I'd pick up the phone. Where could I'd be? Believe it or not I'm not home!!!!